Signing of the Memorandum of Collaboration in the framework of the “AUTHENTICITIES” Program between the Hellenic Industrial Property Organisation (OBI) and the Municipality of Mykonos
“The AUTHENTIC is eternal”
By saying “the Authentic is eternal” in Mykonos Town Hall, the Hellenic Industrial Property Organisation (OBI) and the Municipal Authority of Mykonos island signed a Memorandum of Collaboration in the framework of the AUTHENTICITIES program. For the next two years, both permanent residents and visitors of the island, in cooperation with the local authorities, will contribute to the promotion and certification of Mykonos as “authentic”.
For this reason, OBI’s Director General, Mr. P. Kanellopoulos, the President of OBI’s Administrative Council Mr. D. Chronis, Mr. I. Zisimopoulos President of Mykonos Town Business Owners Association who will have active participation in this program’s implementation, and Deputy Mayor of Mykonos Mr. Μ. Atzamoglou, all gathered in the premises of Mykonos Town Hall for the action of the memorandum signing.
In a relevant statement the Mayor of Mykonos, Mr. K. Koukas, stated:
“The signing of this specific memorandum aims to raise the awareness of the citizens around the issue of the protection of Intellectual Property and the cultivation of a mentality of buying exclusively authentic products.
Given the fact that the only two participants in this initiative from all over the country is Thessaloniki and Mykonos, stands out the decision of making the island the protagonist in European initiatives, in order to highlight a consumer culture that promotes authentic products and supports a healthy entrepreneurship and the local communities”.
OBI’s Director General Mr. P. Kanellopoulos after the signing of the framework of collaboration stated:
“The Hellenic Industrial Property Organisation (OBI), in collaboration with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), expands the task of “Authenticities”, after Thessaloniki in Mykonos, too.
OBI, in cooperation with both the municipality of Thessaloniki and Mykonos, each of them holding their own special characteristics, spreads the message of the protection of the rights of Intellectual Property in our country and the exclusive use of authentic products”.
This stable cooperation has the cause to raise the awareness of both locals and visitors of the island around the issues that involve:
- the defeat of side trade
- the coordinated cooperation in order to prevent the entrance and the circulation of fake and piracy products in the island
- the production, trade extroversion and purchase of only authentic, Greek, local products of clothing, footwear, drinking, household items, jewelry, utility objects, etc.
- the cultivation of a mentality of buying only authentic products
- the support of local entrepreneurship
- the support and encouragement of Greek creators that live and work in the island to produce their exclusive authentic products
- the cracking down of the marketing of counterfeit products that implies tax evasion
- the universal contribution in the protection of Intellectual Property and the rights that anyone who creates, manufactures and trades only Greek and quality products has.
In the framework of the Authenticities Program, training seminars in schools and the Enforcement Authorities (SDOE, Greek Police, municipal/district Police, Customs offices, port authority), as well as informative activities for the media representatives will take place.
The Program AUTHENTICITIES is a coordinated effort of both European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and National Offices (patents, designs, trademarks) of the member countries of the EU, for the cultivation of the mentality of buying authentic products of European citizens.
OBI’s video against imitation/piracy: